Sunday, December 20, 2009

Opportunities

Some friends and I have been writing down, daily, what things we want. I have missed a couple of days. Even when given the opportunity to dream out loud and have special people listen, I don't take it.
That's what I want to talk about today.

I have been given every opportunity. Born into a loving family, raised by a sane woman who wanted the best for me, then receiving a dad who wanted that too. Good schools and private schools and the one college I really wanted to attend. A job offer from my hero, and support from other heroes too. Today I'm in Alaska, doing a job I really love, having hung out with a true friend whom I didn't meet until last week, who is a kindred soul and I found out today...while we snowshoed on a glacier together, overlooking the bay reflecting the mountains crowning the sky.

Every
Opportunity.

And I only just realized that this is what they were: dare I say this, really? Okay, for lack of a less annoying, patronizing, oversimplified phrase: Every moment is an opportunity. (Insert picture of whale tail, frame in black or chrome, and hang in low level executive office now.)

But seriously.

And we only recognize opportunities through the lens of what we want. I'm here doing this job right now because the moments I recognized as opportunities were the ones that said "You want to be an artist. And you want to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Somewhere cool."

The choices I voiced or acted upon whispered a deeper, larger wanting.

So I think I really know what I want right now. I want to be an artist and a part of something bigger than myself, somewhere cool.

Which is exactly what I'm doing right now. How awesome is that?


It's actually what I still want, but I have to tweak the specificity a little. I was a solo artist, part of the something bigger that was the trans and and queer and allies (and other solo artists) communities. Now I want to be a part of a team of artists, working separately yet together on a larger vision. Maybe that vision is one production, maybe it's a season or a Masters Thesis, maybe it's a new aesthetic movement. I don't know, but I do know that, if the choice of doing so ever came my way, I would most certainly seize the opportunity.

Followers