Things are going well here, I'm as happy as I can be, given that I am 4,000+ miles from everyone I love. I have a great roommate, my work is satisfying, I party all the time with intelligent and gorgeous French people. Il y a pire, c'est pas mal. French is becoming the language of my mind, which is frustrating because I have a very limited French vocabulary. Still, after a glass of wine it all becomes much easier, and charm speaks its own language - an important one here in polite France. My friend Gael, the bartender at Cafe Pop, says "At best, he is becoming French. At worst, he is becoming an alcoholic." Not really. But a little.
There seem to be opportunities on the horizon, given the interest of my colleagues' agents in me. It's possible that I could have a real career in Europe. I mean, it's all conjecture just now, but I'll say that it feels much more possible than it ever did in my Hollywood days. But that means I will have to live - or spend large chunks of time - in Europe. Which is not Alaska by any stretch, but it is not Atlanta either. Just when I had decided that Atlanta is my forever home, and started looking for condos.
My roommate Morgan and I geek out on the fact that we are both Third Culture Kids (TCK):
| “ | A Third Culture Kid (TCK) is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK frequently builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture may be assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of similar background. | ” |
So, I am a nomad. I always have been. It's likely that I will be for a long time. Instead of feeling uprooted or on the run, I simply have to accept this. Yes, the grass is always greener, I will always feel a sense of tristesse whenever I stay for very long at all in the homes of my loved ones that are established and solid with all the furniture of love and community. And those friends will ask about my transient life and gasp at the itineraries and lovingly invite the slideshows. My life is pretty cool. I am very lucky. I need to quit it with the tornadoes and really stand in this life, wherever I happen to do it.
This is the introduction to a series I'm calling Dematerializing. I am trying to find out how to live the best possible nomadic lifestyle. I have one suitcase, one carryon, and a small backpack. I need a tuxedo. And I must be able to carry it all up 5 flights of stairs (because I don't always have Abby Gaskins with me). Your suggestions for how I can fit all of myself in, and still have room for souvenirs, are gratefully accepted.
