I just have to tell you this.
I'm in Charlotte with family for a few days, and we visited my parents' friends Jo and Pat.
Jo and Pat live large. Pat was the CEO of some big company, they have this huge house on the lake...in this and many other aspects, they are the nicest (white) people you'll ever meet.
The white part is important, however, because Jo and Pat live next door to LL Cool J. And LL's wife comes over a lot, and they trade decorating tips, and other neighborly chit-chat. Jo and Pat are on a first-name basis with Mr. Cool J, or, should I say a first initial basis, since they call him "LL." Like your average well-off white people would, you know.
Can I just say that, not only do Jo and Pat treat me amazingly well, not only have they been some of mine and my mom's best allies in the world of Upper Class Charlotte, they also know the Hip Hop language quite well? They are what we hope for, here in the world of allyship. Not only do they play bridge, but they are the bridge, the bridge between cultures.
We ate dinner, and I listened to all manner of hip-hop slang fly out of their mouths, in between sips of 2004 Meritage from crystal glasses; as if, you know, this was everyday and we, like everyone else, understand what "dap" is, and the ins and outs of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smiths' relationships. Like all upper class white people do, you know. It was like that scene in Airplane, where the old lady translates jive.
I fucking love my life! I love it when people just understand what comes to them, when it comes to them on other levels that they live. This is so much more about class than it is about race or gender identity, but now that this stuff is through the eye of the needle, it needn't be just upper class blacks or trannies anymore that make the issues matter, now it's fair game to talk about the issues in general.
And we do. And it's excellent. And still, I have to laugh about it with those of you who know what a funny and wonderful world this is.
Love,
Turner