Sunday, March 1, 2009

Back in Town

When I landed at Bob Hope (my new favorite airport...it's so small, the baggage claim is outside), I thought "this just isn't home." I find it weird to feel attached to something like an airport, but ATL is really home. I guess I just spent so much time there.

Still, Nikki is doing a great job of making me a part of things here. She's up for a lot. It's fun. And I realized, after hanging out with my family in San Antonio after the Houston show, that you gotta be up for things. How else do you make memories?

So, in the last few days of being home, I have:

Slept for 16 hours straight (really, touring kills)
Hung out with Ryka (at new favorite burrito stand in Hollywood)
Seen a play
and
gone grocery shopping.

I thought I came here to be a star. ;-)



Sacred Fools is a nifty 99 seater just down the way off Melrose. They're one of the only non-coops in town, which is good, because I think that making actors pay to work in 99 seats or less for no pay in return is a damn crime.

They have this awesome weekly-ish gig called Serial Killers, which includes 5 10-minute plays that represent one episode of a longer piece. Except only 3 pieces make it to the next round (which won't be until March 28 for some reason). Of the five plays, three were fantastically written, two were jaw-droppingly acted, and one was a full-blown, beautifully-danced-and-sung musical. And it all happens in a week, and then it all happens in 10 minutes.

Also, one of the plays which won was called, A Cat Wrote This Play. And it was brilliant. Diabolical and touching, just like a damn cat.

I have to stop and say here that L.A. is the most talented town I've ever experienced. New York's real estate too often rewards mediocrity with a spot in the Times, when everything I've seen out here has at least a stand-out, honest to god excellent performance, if it's not fanstastic all the way through.

Sorry NYC friends. Yes, I'm bitter about Creative Capital funding 90% NYC based artists (and not me)...but at least now I feel partly vindicated ;-)

But I actually feel quite intimidated. The way these people just show up and hit their marks, so to speak--and by that I mean, deliver polished performances like it's easy--makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing here. Reframed, it also makes me want to step up my game, confident that I am able to walk in and make it look easy, and that I'll learn a lot in the process of faking it.

What a cool writing exercise, though, right? Episodic 10-minute plays??? I'm excited to try my hand at writing something like that. Maybe it'll get a spot someday.

Today I went to the Farmer's Market. First time without Carey, and that was our romantic spot. But I woke up today and didn't feel the pang, so I figured I could make it, and I did quite well, thank you.


I should tell y'all that Carey and I are talking again. Romantically. I don't know what it means. I mean, obviously it means romance and getting-back-togetherness, but on what terms or timetable I couldn't tell you, nor do I really know for myself. We're going to meet up somewhere when I'm on tour at the end of March and go from there.

I'm happy about it. I'm also doing my very best to stay in this present moment, where I'm doing really well learning about myself, and could probably really use that whole year to set some things firm, inside. But who knows what will happen soon. I hear back from Yale by March 9, and I think that's just whether or not they want an interview. And if they don't want an interview, is it still possible to to get in? Yeesh. And then if I got in...well that's a whole other can of worms, relationship-wise. But that comes later, and I welcome it.

Fill me in on yous, pleases. I do enjoy watching y'all on facebook with my new iphone, but status updates don't say it all by any means.

Love,
Turner

Followers