Thursday, January 29, 2009

Turn Right On Hope

That's how you get to REDCAT. I like this.

I do like this "say yes to all invitations" thing. It takes me out of the apartment, out of myself, out of the doldrums. It got me a coco jugo too (you know, the kind that's a whole coconut with a straw sticking out of the top?). Mmmmmm.

So tonight I got to see, and play a small small part in the play about castrati.
Monsters and Prodigies: The History of the Castrati

I get to see it 4 more times, so I think I'll save my comments until I think about it more. Since it's written in Spanish, French, and a little bit of Farsi and Italian...and is about castrati in the 13-19the centuries....it's a lil much to take in all at once.

I spent the rehearsal texting Mack:
A man is tuning the harpsichord.
There is a literal ton of sand on the stage.
The horse is stabled under the risers.

Oh, and there's a large amount of opera, which has nothing really to do with tech, but is also very difficult. And beautiful.

::I'm getting ideas::

After the show I caught the last 30 minutes of Amy Ray's show here at the Troubador, which is about 8 blocks from the apartment down Santa Monica Boulevard. Amy's a great studio artist, but man, live...watch out. So much energy, so much skill. So much fun!!! (I noticed that I didn't feel even the slightest bit self-conscious rocking out at the show. Yay public, sober dancing.)

A moment of big-city hilarity: On the way to rehearsal, I pulled out onto Flores st. from the parking garage, and who walks across my driveway but Kaia Wilson. So I get out of the car, and she gives me this toughguy "Who the fuck are you" look, which then melts into "What the fuck are YOU doing here?" So that's how I found out about the show. If you haven't bought Didn't It Feel Kinder yet, YOU MUST. Seriously. I mean for real for real. Go to the website and listen a bit. And as you're reading the description, know that I wrote it :-)

And now, I must go do taxes. I have to fill out a FAFSA by Feb 15, and didn't nobody tell me I'd have to do my damn taxes before I could complete it. Does nobody else itemize??? Yeesh.

Love,
Turner

Followers